If your boyfriend is saying they still love their ex, you might be wondering what you should do and whether it means you should instantly dump him. But relationships, like life, are usually way more complicated then that.
When two people are in a committed relationship for a significant amount of time, it would be reasonable to expect that some feelings would continue to linger after they break up. If their relationship ended amicably, your partner may still care for their ex as they would have shared a lot of experiences together.
Some people also like to try and stay friends with their ex (if it didn’t end with a lot of bitterness). However, still caring about their ex and having a level of respect towards them is not quite the same as still being “in love” with them.
If they are saying that they are still in love with their ex, this should be taken as a warning sign. If they are acting in a way that seem like they are hoping to try and rekindle a relationship, wanting to constantly keep in contact, messaging and calling them, then that is very different then caring about someone.
Both people in a relationship deserve someone who will give them all of their attention and the love that they deserve. However, if your boyfriend or girlfriend is still hung up on their ex, then they are not emotionally ready to be with someone else.
If you feel that your partner is not giving their all in your relationship, then you may need to consider ending the relationship before it develops further.
Sometimes it can be hard to get over an ex and it is never a good idea to rush into a new relationship. It really isn’t fair to the other person and often the other person’s feelings get hurt.
If you have any suspicion that your boyfriend might still be in love with their ex, glance over our list of the tell-tale signs and see if any of them apply. Below are some of the biggest tell-tale signs that your man just isn’t 100% over his ex-girlfriend yet.
Tell-Tale Signs He’s Still In Love With His Ex-Girlfriend
1. He won’t stop talking about her – If he constantly brings up his ex and compares you to her, it would seem likely that he is not yet over her. Even if he’s complaining about her or their relationship, he still has his ex on his mind and this is not a good sign.
2. He is still friends with her on Facebook – A lot of people are friends with just about everyone on social media, so it may not be too strange if your boyfriend is still friends with their ex on Facebook. However, it is a concern if he is keeping tabs on what she is getting up to, liking and leaving lots of compliments on all her pictures. Not only is it inconsiderate to you for him to be showing lots of attention to another girl, it could be also be a sign he’s still interested in her.
3. He suggests that you be friends with her – A guy should feel awkward when his current girlfriend and his ex are around each other. If he’s not and he wants you to be friends with her, it may mean he wants to keep her close and use you to do it.
4. He still has pictures and keepsakes from their relationship – Stored away in a shoebox in the back of the closet or basement may be permissible but if your man has pictures of him and his ex or things she gave him on display, he might not be ready to completely move on. He could be holding onto the memories he had with his ex and re-living the “good times” they shared.
5. He’s afraid to commit to you – When he’s afraid to take the next step in the relationship with you such as talking about moving in together, marriage, etc, it may be because he doesn’t see a future with you because he’s still hung up on his ex. He may be delaying things with you as he is still hoping that maybe his ex will decide that she wants him back.
6. He accidentally calls you by her name – People make mistakes, and if it only happened once, then it is nothing to be too concerned about. If it keeps happening regularly though, this should be a definite deal breaker. If he seems obsessed with his ex and then calls you by her name you should look to get out of the relationship as soon as possible and protect your feelings.
7. He gets upset when he finds out she’s dating someone new – If he has moved on completely from his past relationship, he wouldn’t care if she meets someone new. When he gets jealous over her new relationships, it’s a definite sign he still holding on to feelings for her that he shouldn’t have if he is truly in love with you.
8. He’s still got her number in his phone – Unless they have to keep in touch for some reason such as for work or because they have children together, your guy should not have his ex’s number in his phone and it surely shouldn’t be showing up in the call log.
Do any of the above apply to your guy?
Each relationship is different but if multiple signs are pointing to the obvious truth, it might be time to let go of the relationship and let him figure out what he really wants because you deserve so much better than that.